Saturday, August 26, 2006

How to Buy Women's Vintage Clothing on line!

One good reason to always read the measurements of any item of vintage clothing you purchase On-Line.

YES! I've finally found the perfect 40's 'side-drape' dress. I've got to have it.
Rayon crepe - double drop at bodice & hip - accent bows - square neckline - shoulder gathers!

My size too! 16. I take a quick glance at the description *excellent shape - no flaws* Skim through the rest - measurements given. ---WAIT! Back up! Bust is what? 34 inches - glance up to the size stated - yep - size 16.

I wear a size 16, how can this vintage dress be a 16 with a 34 inch bust?

That's it folks - buying classic vintage by size is a no-no. Always check the measurements!

This dress from 1945 has a size tag that reads 16. In that era, women's sizes were done by bust measurements and ½ sizes, starting at 16½(bust 35). Misses & juniors clothing had the number size on the tags.

Over the years women's clothing manufacturers have been tinkering with the size measurements: a 1945, size 16(misses) 34 inch bust was in 1958 a size 14, in 1967 a size 14, and in 1968 a size 12!

What the manufacturers have done is to patronize to the buying publics fear of large. The 'Vanity Sizing' that we see in today's fashions is an insult to us, this worlds women. We have become blind to the fact that there never used to be a size 0.

When I was 50 pounds lighter and 30 years younger I wore a women's size 14, now I'm sitting here typing this in a size 12 - doesn't make since to me!

No comments: